For the last couple weeks, I have found myself repeatedly reflecting on the concept of compassion. What exactly is compassion? How does it differ from love, empathy or even mercy? Is it a gift of the Spirit or a fruit of the Spirit? Is it bestowed on us like a talent - growing as we put it to use or shrinking as we bury it? Why are some people so naturally filled with compassion while others struggle to look beyond themselves? What is it's role in families, communities and even government organizations? These represent just a few of the questions that have been mulling around in my head while I've washed dishes, driven carpool, rehearsed for a play, been summoned to Jury Duty and lived all the rest of my life the last while. In the end I find myself still not knowing all the answers, but what I DO know - I know for certain. Compassion differs from mercy in that mercy comes into play when there is also a need for justice. Mercy is simply the opposite side of the scale. Compassion is unconditional and comes from deep within. It is real and meaningful. It is not pity or simple kindness. It is so much more than just a bleeding heart and leaves no room for feelings of superiority. It leads you to reach beyond yourself and your own selfish interests in a way that will feed your soul like nothing else can, while simultaneously feeding the souls of those upon which it falls. Compassion cannot be contrived, but it can be learned. Compassion is quite possibly the greatest gift we can bestow on each other everyday. I want my heart never to become so jaded, or cynical, or angry that compassion disappears. I want that for my whole family. For now, I'll continue learning... and forgetting... and trying again.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment