Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Sad Goodbye To An Old Friend


Today a 15 year relationship between me and my hat came to an end. Anyone who has or has had a favorite hat knows how impossibly hard it is to find a replacement. I've been looking for a new one for a while because I knew my baby was not going to last much longer. NO LUCK!! This hat has been to every Young Women Camp over the last 10 years, hiked many-o-mountain, been on every vacation, blown off my head and into the lake, covered my early morning bed head during my 7:00AM classes (MANY YEARS AGO), and has beautifully maintained it's position as my GO-T0 guy whenever I've been in a rush.

With much hesitation I put my hat in the washing machine today and it literally self-destructed. The plastic bill ripped through the fabric at the seam, in the front and on the underside where the bill meets the cap. I'm so sad!!

Does anyone have suggestions as to where a girl with a big head and a LOT of hair might find the perfect hat to last the next 15 years?

6 comments:

Shauna said...

JoDell,
I know just what you mean when you have something you love and can't replace. I love my Roots bag. It's been my purse since the 2002 olympics. I've purchased two other bags that are just like it but are just not the same. I keep going back to the old original. But the original is falling apart. I'm on the hunt.
When Kyra was 5 we had to retire her favorite hat. I still have a collection of her old hats in my closet. She wears a baseball cap backward everywhere I let her. I know I'll miss it someday.
On another note, we have Gloria "practice" aka January dinner tomorrow night. Sorry about the short notice but we just remembered it was this week yesterday. If you're interested let us know. We are meeting somewhere near the Fashion Place Mall. We haven't decided on a location yet but the time will be 6:15. I really hope you can come and hope even more that you will sing with us next year.

Steph Parke said...

What a sad, sad day. I just got rid of the old mossy green Nike sweatshirt, and if you can believe it, the green Gap wool sweater. It was time. 11 years!

JoDell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoDell said...

A sad day indeed! Kevin has us both beat though with the infamous Harvard sweatshirt. It's days are numbered!

KSPARKE said...

In my book you're hat looks like it is just getting comfortable. Don't be to quick to count the old comfortable Harvard Sweatshirt out. I think I have at least another winter, maybe two before it needs to be retired. I think it's 20 years old--can it make 25?

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the laugh. About another big hat for you big head, I'll ask you dad. It runs in the family.