Friday, May 23, 2008

Sick Mama

So here I go documenting the fact that I have been super sick the past month. (Yes, it truly has been almost a whole month.) Clear back on April 23rd after a regular day of stuff, 3 hours at Jackson's baseball game and two hours at a camp meeting, I came home shivering and "not feeling well." I threw up, took my temperature (104), chugged some pepto and some Tylenol and went to bed. Such was my pathetic state for 3days. On the third day my heart started racing at about 130 beats per minute. After 4hours of that, Kevin said, "We're going to the hospital." We went to the InstaCare in Bountiful where they hooked me up to all sorts of machines and drew about a thousand tubes of blood and started me on an IV drip for dehydration. Turns out my heart was beating heinously fast and my blood pressure was at 145/110 but, thankfully, not having any other problems. The bloodwork showed that I had an extremely low level of potassium which, apparently, regulates your heart. Meanwhile, my doctor decided to order an x-ray to check for pneumonia. I thought she was off her rocker to even think I would have pneumonia. I hadn't had a cold or a cough or so much as a runny nose prior to getting sick. However, I was too sick and tired to argue with her so off we went to x-ray. SURE ENOUGH - PNEUMONIA IN BOTH LUNGS!! They gave me a shot of anitbiotics and prescriptions for potassium and Keflex and sent me on my way.
The three youngest kids and I went to my mom's for a few days and I tried to get some rest. TO NO AVAIL! 8 days after the InstaCare scene, my fever came back and I still felt horrible. So - I went to see my doctor who knew at one glance that something was really wrong. More x-rays, more blood work! STILL SICK LIKE I'D NEVER EVEN BEEN TREATED IN THE FIRST PLACE!! My doc said, "You need different meds and you either go home and go to bed or you're going to the hospital." I called Kevin and cried. I called my mom and cried. I went to the pharmacy and cried. Finally I got it together and made arrangements for Mia and I to go to my mom's, for Maxwell to go to my mother-in-law's and for Kevin and for my fabulous neighbors to shuttle Jackson and Kacie for a week. That one week turned into two. Finally, I'm feeling much better. The moral of the story is .....don't get pneumonia! But if you do, I hope you're as blessed as I was to have so many willing hearts and hands close by. Thanks everyone for ALL your help and patience, especially to my mom for the world class TLC.

1 comments:

EmmaP said...

Jodell,

Can I just tell you that all of us at work are sooooo glad you're feeling better too??? a "happy mama" makes a much happier boss! (no offense, Kevin).

Glad you're feeling better!