Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Magic of Christmas

It's not a very well kept secret that I LOVE CHRISTMAS!! I love decorating the tree while listening to Christmas music. I love making a list and checking it twice. I love coming up with new places to hide presents. I love going to Temple Square with my family to see the magnificent lights and to listen to the story of the Savior's birth while freezing in the cold and reflecting at the statue babe in the manger. I love the late night cups of hot cider with my sweetheart. I love watching my children get ridiculously excited whenever a present with their name on it appears under the tree. I love the hymns and the carols and the bells. I love the new recipes and good old standbys and the never ending smell of peppermint. I love it all. But.... my absolute, hands down favorite part of Christmas is the gift giving. Nothing beats dreaming up the perfect gift for someone you love and wrapping it up so spectacularly that just looking at it makes you want to cry. The anticipation of delivering such a gift is, for me, the magic of Christmas.

I know the baby born to Joseph and Mary was, in fact, the promised, long awaited Messiah and savior of mankind. I find great hope and comfort in His teachings and try to emulate my life after His. This Christmas season I keep thinking of this teaching, "This is my commandment, that ye love one another as I have loved you."(John 15:12) I need to love more. Wouldn't it truly be a wonder to behold if we all loved each other as the Savior loves us? I know He does love us. He loves us for all the good that we do and in spite of all the mistakes we make. He always loves. Imagine how excited our Heavenly Father must have been all those years ago when he anticipated giving us the perfect gift of His Son!

May your Christmas be filled with magic and love!!

4 comments:

Becky Lewis said...

Thank you, Thank you!!

Catherine said...

Well said--as always. Why have I never noticed your book list on your blog before? I'm always looking for something that's been recommended. Now if I can just find them here.

Teresa said...

Great thoughts. It's always nice to see the focus on the Savior during this season. There's not enough of it these days - unless we make an effort to put it there.
Love the book list - might need to meander a bit.:}

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Thank you for sharing you heart, with so much going on it's hard to find that moment. Thank you for the magic.

Mom