This past week my brain has been in overdrive when it comes to dreaming. I'm not usually a dreamer, but for some reason I have had some ultra bizarre nighttime stories playing out in my head as of late. Seriously, these dreams have been so alive with color, smell and sound and even feeling. It all started with the dream about Kevin and I getting lost and locked in the Conference Center late at night. We tried and tried to get out but behind every door we opened lurked a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, each wearing a Jewish Yamulke and sunglasses. I remember feeling so relieved at the sight of each of their faces and then completely let down that they wouldn't tell us how to get out of the building.
In the next dream, Kevin and I were stranded on an island with Clark and Jen and Todd and Catherine. I can't imagine what we were doing in the first place that left us stranded, but there we were dripping wet and hungry. We looked around and saw all sorts of crab and prawns crawling around on the beach so we quickly started gathering them. All of us but Jen that is. Jen rolled up her shorts and ran out into the water with a massive harpoon and scored a giant fish. With nothing more than a stick she gutted, boned and filleted the beast. I climbed to the very top of a nearby tree to observe the festivities and saw Jen pull a tiny baggie filled with a white substance out of her pocket. At first I thought she was seasoning the fish but then I figured out it was POISON!! I slid down the tree trunk and ran to warn the others, but by the time I reached them I could no longer speak English. SO - we sat on the warm sand, eating bananas and enjoying a language lesson. I woke up laughing out loud! Thanks for feeding my family at the campout Jen and for the "white substance in a baggie" from YW Jacquelyn and Kate.
I didn't think I slept much at the Ward Campout but apparently it was enough to have a ridiculous dream. I'm not sure if we were at a concert or an EFY type event, but I had three of my young women with me and we were all wearing shade shirts with lace on the bottom and polka dot skirts. (another Warner reference) For some reason we had to walk forever to get to wherever it was we were going, so we kicked off our shoes to show off our tan feet and newly painted toenails. As we were walking, I kept getting glimpses of these really tall men hiding behind the trees that lined the path. All of a sudden, we were in a dorm area and the girls were plotting a secret rendezvous with the "drop dead gorgeous guys that wear Hawaiian shirts and BYU ball caps." (Thanks for that one Todd!) They eventually disappeared from my view but I could still hear their conversations on the opposite side of the door. I started to panic as day turned to night and their laughter turned to whispers. I didn't have anything with me to pick the lock - I didn't even have a shoe to throw at the door. So, being the Superwoman that I am, I kicked the door right down. There were my girls, all huddled in a circle and crying. Aspen looked at me and said, "Where have you been?" I woke up at this point with a racing heart and feeling the need to make several phone calls. BLAH!! Hideous!!
Last night's dream had a much better ending. Yesterday, Liz, one of my first little beehives, took off for college. I happened to be outside as she was leaving and so I was able to give her a huge hug and say goodbye. Well, as you can imagine, I dreamed about being back in the Young Adult ward I attended in college. In my dream I couldn't quite recognize any of the faces in the crowd, but I found an empty spot on a bench and sat down to enjoy the meeting. People were friendly and said "hello" and the meeting started without much excitement. Half way through the meeting the Bishop came down off the stand and started shaking hands with people. He was talking out loud, making jokes and being all sorts of irreverent. I couldn't help but think to myself, "Why in the world would they let this guy be the Bishop?" He gradually made his way to the bench where I sat and when he reached me I recognized him as Bishop Russell. He reached out to me, grabbed me by the shirt and picked me up to give me a hug. At that point I didn't even care if we were in the middle of sacrament meeting - it was GREAT to see my old friend! Bishop Russell really was my Bishop in the young adult ward I attended and before that he was my seminary teacher in 9th grade. I haven't thought about him in years! It's amazing how the Lord prepares you for the challenges and opportunities that will fill your life. Bishop Russell played a huge part in my preparation through the various assignments and callings he sent my way! Have so much fun in college Liz!
Well - that's my unconscious brain in a nutshell these days. It sort of sounds like I might be on drugs or something, but I assure you I AM NOT! I just NOTICE EVERYTHING, THINK way too much and FEEL too deeply - thank goodness I do or I just wouldn't be me.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
What Is Up With My Dreams?
Posted by JoDell at 6:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What can I say? You have quite the imagination!!! Me, harpooning a giant fish? And then poisoning all of you? Yah right!!! I have to agree with you that they are “ultra bizarre” dreams, because if I was going to poison you I’d just put it in my bread before I make my weekly visit, that would be so much easier (ha ha). I just hope that I get to be the good friend in your next “dream”.
Sweet Dream’s!!!
Love Ya,
Jen
I can't believe your imagination!!! What funny dreams. You can remember them and record them to make me feel as though I just watched them myself. You are destined to write. I can't wait for your book to be published!
Love ya,
Amy
P.S. Watch out for the bread next time from Jen. :)
These are too cute! So fun!
Does Jenn still do the sacrament bread? Perhaps it's not just you she's trying to poison, but the entire ward. Aaargh!
As for the BYU ball cap, I'm sure that's the ONLY part of that sentence that pertains to me. I'm glad too that you're dreaming about celestial things (BYU of course) :-)!
So good seeing you guys again (and everyone in the ward).
Post a Comment