Monday, June 9, 2008

DIRT

Last week I finally felt well enough (and the rain stopped long enough) to get started on my flowerbeds. At our old house, I would do a little dance and hail the flower fairies every year as Spring rolled in and the daffodils and tulips poked through the dirt. I'd get up much too early everyday just to be outside digging, clipping, fertilizing and watering in the peace and quite of the morning. Come to think of it though, no matter how early I went outside my neighbor Adell always seemed to make it out before me. We'd say our "Hellos" and "Good Mornings" but never anything else to disrupt the morning and then turn back to our precious dirt. I truly loved my dirt and all the flowers and didn't even mind the weeds - UNTIL JULY! Starting on about July 4th I would curse the weeds and the expense of water and even Juleen - who planted all the flowers in the first place a gazillion years before we bought the house. I'd swear that my next house would have grass and rock beds but NO FLOWERS.

Well Spring came around here at my new house too and I had to dig. I took out a bunch of old, yucky, unrecognizable plants, extended my flower beds to (OF ALL THINGS) make room for MORE flowers, found a home for my stepping stone, planted a few of my favorites and made plans for future planting. All this for the love of dirt.



Just look at that all that dirt - waiting for more flowers.



My stepping stone. The only craft I've ever painted that actually turned out.



Blanket Flower

An added bonus - one of the fun things about buying a house from the Cummings Family (we've now done it twice) is the experience of finding long lost treasures as you work in the yard. Over the course of 5 years, I think I probably uncovered 30 bouncy balls, a dozen army men, 6 kitchen spoons and bucket full of hair ties at our old house. In one dig at the new house, I found a purple pom pom, an army guy, a shoe (maybe that belongs to the Eubanks'), an invention of some kind involving a paperclip, a magnet and a pink eraser, two hair ties and a walking stick made by Calvin. The walking stick wasn't actually in the dirt, but in the monster bush by the side of the house. For as much as I love finding buried treasure, maybe I should have been a pirate. I love dirt!

4 comments:

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Oh my goush, I wonder if they were put there on purpose. I didn't know that you liked dirt. Come to my house, I have lots of empty dirt.

Mom

Todd said...

Any shoes in our yard are definetely the Eubanks'. I don't know how many times I saw a footless kid that was tall and lanky wandering around the yard. On top of that, more often than not, Jay would come knocking on the back door hat in hand looking for someone's shoes.
As for all the stuff in the dirt, well, those Cummings are just dirty people I hear. I just hope you don't find that body of the last solicitor that knocked one too many times (Catherine doesn't like them). If you do, let us know as we may have to change travel plans.

Todd said...

Your yard rather, not ours.

Catherine said...

The boys just informed me they did indeed bury the shoe on purpose to see if you would find it. One of those "let's not tell Mom and Dad what we're doing" episodes.