Today proved a day for cleaning bathrooms. Not just wipe down the sink and toilet kind of cleaning, but the kind where you wash the rugs, scrub the blinds and all the nooks and crannies of the door, clean out the drawers and cabinets and hang towels fresh out of the dryer. While scrubbing the walls, my thoughts turned to my friend Catherine. After living in this house 5 years, she picked out paint in all her favorite colors and painted EVERY wall, only to blink and sell the house to us in preparation for her family's journey to Kuwait. Then I thought of Julieta who, when I was nine months pregnant and moving into a new house, came to clean and set up the bathroom. My next thoughts were of "my girls" - Liz and Aspen - cleaning the tub during a mutual night Service Scavenger Hunt. As I scrubbed the toilet and the floor, I reflected on my sweet two year old Maxwell whose tummy has demanded that he worship the porcelain god so many times over the past year. Finally, I thought of my mom - the one that taught me how to clean a bathroom in the first place. According to her, the one thing you must save for last and NEVER forget to do, is Windex the faucet and drain - polishing until they sparkle. Yes, today I cleaned the bathroom - and I was filled with love.
Monday, April 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Which bathroom was it? I believe those bathrooms have seen much worship during the time the Cummings family was there.
I feel quite crude however, in that I'm almost certain no one from our family ever had these kind of reminiscing and nostalgic thoughts as we cleaned it.
Lord love you for having those feelings and sharing them with us all if only to remind us of the simple pleasures in even the most menial of tasks.
I was in the master bathroom when I had my little "moment." Don't get me wrong though, I don't often get all sentimental while scrubbing toilets. (Just everywhere else.)
And I'm grateful to the my wonderful wife who taught me, nearly ten years ago, that you aren't supposed to clean the bathtub with the toilet brush (no matter how much you rinse it) and that that grey film does come off if you use the right cleaner. Ahh, memories of bachelorhood.
What toilet brushes don't work on cleaning bathtubs? Snap!
The grey film comes off? I thought that was texture or shade for the tub. Man, I really need to listen to my wife a little more.
One day I'll learn these things and perhaps prove to be more useful and valuable in the home.
Post a Comment