Monday, March 16, 2009

It's Always the Bishop's Kids

Sundays are usually interesting...to say the least. Every parent out there, whose ever had to get the kids ready for church by 9:00 AM, knows the "battle" that can ensue on Sunday mornings. Ours are no different. By the time we sit down for sacrament meeting I'm usually sweating and tired and mentally blank. Then come the longest 70 minutes of my life. Even before we have a chance to sing the opening hymn Mia is screaming (and yes I do mean screaming) for her "DADA", who tries really hard not to bust into a full blown laugh attack on the stand. Maxwell is crying because, "he doesn't like church and he really doesn't like being quiet and he just wants to go home anyway." Kacie generally bonks her tall, gangly self on something and is digging through the diaper bag for a band aid and Jackson is told, once again, that no he can't sit by me because I need the little ones close at hand. These are the just the first five minutes of church. With the help of MANY great ward members we make it through sacrament meeting and I breathe a serious sigh of relief when it's time for primary. GOD BLESS THE PRIMARY TEACHERS OF THE WORLD!!

Max goes to primary just fine, but he only stays in primary because Sister Ferguson is the most amazing Sunbeam teacher to walk the planet! Max seems to always have something to say that makes her chuckle. Here's what happened a couple of weeks ago. The primary chorister was teaching the kids a new song. She had pictures and word posters and all the "stuff" that makes learning a new song fun. Apparently there were several verses and they all referenced God in someway. After what seemed hours to Maxwell, he leaned his head back and yelled, "I'm so tired of God!" Yes, it seems we have an irreverent 3 year old - guess we should work on that! All I know is the church certainly must be true! It wouldn't be worth it if it weren't!!

9 comments:

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

That is so real, yet funny. Don't ya just love Max! Your a great mother JoDell. I love how you hang in there.

Thanks for letting us do a pop visit.

Jennifer said...

I have been there my friend,It does get better. Well Ok, maybe NOT... Don't even get your hopes up about when the day does come that Bishop can actually sit with you and the family (in your own ward and for more than one week.) By then the kids are so used to him being up on the stand that it is now just play time with dad. And dad has learned to block it out that he doesn't even notice or he thinks that it is funny. As you see with my family I am always having to separate the kids. After 7 years I still have to explain to Clark why we can't sit by each other. For you I hope that it gets better.

EmmaP said...

that is sooooo funny! and yes - its seems the curse intensifies when they are the "bishop's kids". just hope they still aren't the Bishop's kids when they are teenagers... ugh! Hang in there! we all get a little tired of church... :)

Brandon and Carly said...

That is so funny! I seriously have told a ton of people - - because I think it is the cutest story ever!

Becky Lewis said...

Go Max Go!!!!
Love ya both.....you are good parents!

Ryan Cowley said...

Too funny! It is a lot funnier to read about it than it is to live it though! :) Luckily, we have an sweet single sister in our ward who is an absolute angel who helps me every week. I don't know how I would do it without her!

Haylie said...

Update ya loser!

Todd said...

So true, but then I think those things were already germinating before they were 'the Bishop's kids'. It was also happening when they were 'the High Councilman's kids'. I was always keeping back a chuckle watching you all from the stand back in the day.
We had one as well, ask Alan Smith about the time Batman reference Jesus Christ in Sacrament Meeting. That was rich.
Thanks for the chuckles. God bless.

Shelli said...

Why does this story sound all too familiar? I sweat bullets and I only have two! By the time I get there, it's already time to feed the twins so I almost always miss the sacrament. Go figure. Anyway, this post made me laugh.